Discussion Board Posts #1 & #2

What does it mean to be Human?

I believe “being human” comes with the ability to be in tune with your morals, empathize with others, adapt to our environment, and have the ability to continue evolving. Humans are very complex individuals, and everyone is different, which is what I also think makes us so special. As corny as it may sound, I believe love is an immense part of being human as well. While this may not apply to everyone, love can drive humans to be the best version of themselves. Whether it’s love for a family member, for a stranger, for animals, for our planet. It has a huge impact on us and those around us as well. I’d say my definition of “being human” is mostly derived from my own experiences; what I’ve seen, heard, or read has informed my decision. However, after reading Rochat’s article I was introduced to a new point of view which helped me see humanity in a different light.

When compared to my perspective, Rochat’s perspective is different in that he focuses more on how humanity as a whole shares resources to survive collectively. Unlike me, he doesn’t really highlight the individual, but he highlights how they all transact and work together. He has more of a social take on being human, and while I also think that is an important component, I think a lot more about the individual and how each person functions on their own; which eventually has an effect on others.

What is human responsibility to the planet?

As inhabitants of our beloved planet Earth, I believe we have a responsibility to take care of it as much as it takes care of us. We should keep it clean and mainly partake in
activities that helps our environment, not harms it. When it comes to being apart of a society, it’s important to make an effort be as united as possible. Ideally, one should not be judged if they are considered different and violence should be nonexistent. This would be necessary to maintain a society that benefits all.
I think we should have a healthy relationship with animals, where we protect them, rather than harm them. This can tie into our relationship with the environment. If we don’t take care of the environment, it can affect animals as well. Additionally, when it comes to my perspective on a relationship with the environment, it usually brings me to discuss climate change. When watching Greta Thurnburg speak, I realize that I have a similar perspective when it comes to climate change. I believe that a lot of major companies have so many plans that claim to benefit our environment, but they’re plans that will be implemented in the future. It doesn’t seem like there is immediate action taking place, which is what’s most needed at this time.